Who Can Be Married In FUMC?
We welcome all couples who have a valid marriage license to be married in the historic First United Methodist Church of Kalamazoo.
Wedding Planning Process
- Call the church office at (269) 381-6340 to discuss available dates. Please request a Wedding Ceremony Application from Christine Landreville at email@example.com. At the time of application a $200 non-refundable deposit is required.
- A FUMC pastor will be assigned to officiate at your wedding. The officiating clergy persons are:
- Julie Kline
- Dr. Matt Weiler
- Attend pre-marital counseling with the assigned pastor.
- Contact the organist.
- Obtain the marriage license. Bring this with you to the wedding rehearsal and give it to the pastor.
The time frame for a wedding will not exceed four hours. This includes time for photos before and/or after the ceremony.
Prior to both the rehearsal and the wedding, alcoholic beverages are not permitted in the church or on the church property. No alcoholic beverages may be served or consumed on the church premises at any time. Smoking is also not permitted on church grounds.
Photographs and Video
In order to respect the sanctity of the wedding celebration, limits are placed on photography and videography. Because of the lighting in the church, we recommend a professional photographer. See the above document for details.
Because of the natural beauty of the sanctuary, many couples choose to limit additional decorations. You may wish to work with a florist for altar flowers or other floral arrangements. More details are given in the document above.
All fees must be paid in FULL one month before the wedding. A receipt will be provided. The $200 non-refundable application fee that is paid when the wedding date is reserved will be applied to the total wedding fee.
The total wedding fee will be finalized once we discuss your needs and this fee includes:
- Four-hour use of the building on the wedding day
- Use of facility for a wedding rehearsal
- Two dressing rooms
- Security personnel at the door
- Sound/light technician at the rehearsal and ceremony
- Organist fee
- Custodian fee
- Use of candelabras, kneeling bench, unity candle holder, taper candles
- Premarital sessions with the officiating clergy
- Clergy honorarium
After the Wedding
You welcome you to make First United Methodist Church of Kalamazoo your church home and to attend worship services here.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can my relative, who is a pastor, perform the ceremony?
No. One of our pastors will officiate.
- If I don’t want an organist, is the cost lowered?
No. The cost stays the same.
- Can a friend provide the music?
Additional musicians or soloists may be used as a part of the wedding ceremony. This must be coordinated with our organist, Bernie Foulk.
- Can we use a CD instead of the organist?
Yes, you can use recorded music. This must be coordinated with our organist, Bernie Foulk.
- Where can people park?
The church has a parking lot next to the building. In addition, there is street parking along Academy Street that is free on weekends or after 5:00 PM during the week.