First United Methodist Church Encourages Generosity
Our congregation is very generous in their giving of the funds needed to help support the life and ministry of our church. We also support many local and global outreach activities. Whether by our personal involvement of time or our generous financial gifts, many local and global charitable organizations receive support every year.
First United Methodist Church Encourages Stewardship
Stewardship is one of the central disciplines of our spiritual life. As we grow in our faith and trust, we discover that our self-giving – giving of our time, talent, and treasure – is one of the deepest possible joys. As a member of First United Methodist Church of Kalamazoo you vow to serve the Church with your:
Our individual stewardship of God’s resources is an important indicator of whether we have placed God first in our lives. Many people tithe or give well beyond the tithe because of their commitment to a vital ministry in downtown Kalamazoo.
You can make a financial contribution anytime with our online donation option. There are different funds that are available for you to give to which are listed below. You will also have the choice to choose your frequency, start date and what form of payment. You can use a credit or debit card as well as Direct Debit from your checking or savings account.
Fund options include:
- General Fund – This General Fund provides the foundation of all our ministries. It covers personnel and building expenses; our programs of worship, education, and congregational care; and our support of the world-wide United Methodist Church. This fund enables our wide variety of special outreach and justice ministries, as we carry out our mission to experience, celebrate, and share God's love.
- Dream Team Fund - The Dream Fund is a three-year capital campaign with the goal of raising $1,000,000 to increase the amount of affordable housing in Kalamazoo. Kalamazoo First UMC will partner with several non-profits who have decades of experience in providing housing and also provide supportive services and education to their residents.
- Special Offerings – Throughout the year there are special offerings that help support our local ministries as well as United Methodist ministries, both in the U.S. and abroad. Please note designation in the memo line.
- Youth Fund – We have a vibrant Youth Ministry at First United Methodist Church. Every year a group of our youth goes to the Appalachia to help serve those in need. This fund helps support that effort as well as other projects throughout the year.
- Memorial Fund – Memorial gifts to the church are given as a way to remember the life and to celebrate the faith of special friends and family who have passed away.
- UMW – United Methodist Women is a community of women whose mission is to support each other, as well as support the local and global mission of the church.
- JFON – Justice For Our Neighbors is housed at First United Methodist Church and is a ministry of hospitality that welcomes immigrants into our communities by providing affordable, high-quality immigration legal services, engaging in advocacy for immigrants' rights, and offering education to communities of faith and the public.
- Other Designated Fund – Can include supporting our Pastor’s Discretionary Fund, Helping Our Neighbors, Food Pantry, Music Ministry, other outreach and justice projects, and a whole lot more. Please note designation in the memo line.