The music ministry at First United Methodist Church is an important part of our praise to God. People of all ages sing, ring, or play a variety of musical instruments. Our church appreciates the gifts of vocal and instrumental musicians who are willing to share their talents on special occasions.
All voice types are welcome. Musicianship will be stretched whether you are a beginner or an advanced musician. Being a part of one of our choirs is an excellent way to meet people and become a part of the fellowship of First Church.
- First Singers –Adult choir sings at the 8:30 a.m. worship service September through May on an average of twice a month. Rehearsals are Sunday evenings at 6:00 p.m., September through May.
- Chancel Choir –Adult choir sings at the 11:00 a.m. worship service September through May. Rehearsals are Thursday evenings at 7:15 p.m., September through May.
- First Beats Children’s Choir –Children in grades 3 through 8 are invited to be a part of this exciting group that sings, rings and performs musicals. Rehearsals are Tuesdays at 4:15 p.m., September through May. First Beats Choir sings at the 11:00 a.m. worship 6-8 times a year.
If you can count to four, you may be an eligible candidate for one our handbell choirs. Of course there is more to it than that, but we strive to make ringing as easy as possible.
- Adult Handbell Ensemble - Open to adults and youth, plays in worship every 4-6 weeks, as well as special occasions. Rehearsals are Thursday evenings at 6 p.m., September through May.
- First Beats Handbells - Open to children in grades 3 through 8. This handbell ensemble is an extension of the First Beats Children’s Choir and practices on Tuesdays at 4:15 p.m., September through May.
- First Bells - Open to children ages four through third grade. Rehearses on first Sundays of the month. Rings the third Sunday of the month at the 11:00 a.m. worship, September through May.
Emerging Worship Band
This ensemble leads our Emerging Worship service on the 2nd Sunday of the month. They play a variety of instruments such as piano, bass, drums, guitar, and synthesizer, and offer tight vocal harmonies. Singing and playing music from the ancient past to chants from the Iona and Taize traditions to contemporary praise music, this ensemble welcomes those who have a taste for less formal musical styles. Rehearsals are the two Wednesday evenings preceding the 2nd Sunday of the month at 7:00 p.m.
Our newly formed string orchestra ensemble led by Anne Sherfield of the Battle Creek Symphony, currently has about 10 strings players. Violin, viola, cello, and string bass players are welcome to join this group that plays during worship four or five times per year.