Path to Membership
You may join Kalamazoo First United Methodist Chruch in one of several ways:
By Profession of Faith and Baptism
If you have not been baptized and you would like to confess Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior, our Pastor will be glad to discuss this decision with you at your convenience. If you have been baptized, but you have never had membership in the church, you may be confirmed as a full member, professing your faith in Jesus Christ.
By Transfer from Another United Methodist Church
If you are currently a member of another United Methodist congregation you may transfer your membership to First UMC. Please contact Senior Pastor Steve Charnley or the church office at (269) 381-6340 for more information. It is not necessary for you to write your former church. We will handle the details of transfer for you.
By Transfer from Another Christian Denomination
This process is very much like the one above. Since you have already been baptized and confirmed, these steps will not be repeated. You will be asked to take the vow taken by all members of the United Methodist Church: Will you be loyal to the United Methodist Church and uphold it with your prayers, your presence, your gifts, and your service?
Once the appropriate above steps are taken, you will then be presented before the congregation in one of our worship services and your membership decision affirmed and celebrated.
Membership Vows in the United Methodist Church
On behalf of the whole Church, I ask you:
- Do you reject the spiritual forces of wickedness, the evil powers of this world, and the bondage to sin?
- Do you accept the freedom and power God gives you to resist evil, injustice, and oppression in whatever forms they present themselves?
- Do you confess Jesus Christ as your Savior, put your whole trust in his grace, and promise to serve him as your Lord, in union with the Church which Christ has opened to people of all ages, nations, and races?
- According to the grace given to you, will you remain faithful members of Christ’s holy Church and serve as Christ’s representatives in the world?
- As members of Christ’s universal Church, will you be loyal to the United Methodist Church, and do all in your power to strengthen its ministries?
- As members of this congregation, will you faithfully participate in its ministries by your prayers, your presence, your gifts, your service, and your witness?